. [1st draft: to be updated]
Hey there! 안녕! Salaam! سلام ! 安宁! Привет! Oi! Сайн yy! Merhaba! こんにちは！
In this lesson, we will learn words and scenarios related to coffee shops.
이번 수업에서 카페에 대해 단어와 시나리오를 공부할게. 다 영어로 쓸건데 어떤 단어 모르면 영/영 사전만 사용하라.
1- Use an English dictionary to translate words (like Cambridge dictionary).
2- If you have questions, ask.
Part one: words:
- 머그장 mug, 일회용컵 paper cup
- 진하게 strong/thick 연하게 weak/mild
- 저지방 Low-fat 무지방 Skim/Skimmed
- 우유 milk 두유 soy milk
- 현금 cash 신용 카드 credit card
You know the items’ names in English from the menu. So instead, we’ll focus on the actions 메뉴에서 제품을 영어로 공부할 수 있잖아요. 그래서 대신 동사(행동) 를 초점 맞을게. Also, you can find several vocabulary online, like here.
Part two: Phrases
What a customer may say:
- Adding 추가:
- Please add more ice.
- I want Americano with medium sugar, please.
- I want Americano, double shot. = with extra shot.
- I’d like to have waffles with extra maple syrup please. (I’d like to have = I want)
- I’ll have ice Americano, with just a little ice please. (I’ll have = I want)
- Can I get an extra fork please? (Can I get = I want)
- May I have a wet tissue please? (May I have = I want) (wet tissue = 물티슈)
- Removing 제거:
- Can I get English muffin please? And take off the ham.
- I’ll have Mocha Frappuccino, without whipped cream.
- Please don’t add red beans to the Bingso.
- I’d like to have Caramel latte but not too sweet please. (not too… = not very…)
- Asking / inquiring 문의:
- What kind of coffee do you have?
- Where is the toilets? (toilets = bathroom = washroom)
- Is there a free table? (free = available)
- Complaining ㅜㅜ
- The food is cold. ( = the food is rather cold)
- This is not what I ordered. ><
- It’s too salty.
- The latte is full of syrup. = This latte is too sweet.
- 답장: I’m sorry, I’ll make another one. = Sorry, I’ll replace it for you.
What a barista may say:
- First sentence:
- What do you like to have today?
- May I take your order?
- What’s your order please?
- And then:
- hot or ice?
- For here? — or: for here or to go? — or: for here or take-out?
- What size do you like?
- Regular size? [or: Tall size?] (Short = Small, Tall = Medium, Grande = Large, Venti = Extra large) [originally, “Venti” in Italian means “twenty”, meaning 20 ounces or 567 grams].
- with (whipped cream)?
- Asking 부탁:
- 영수증 드릴까요? Do you want the receipt?
- Would you like to have a stamp card? (Would you like to have = Do you want)
- Please check if there’s a free table first.
- For sugar, it’s self-service right there. (right there = 저기서) (self-service = 셀프)
- Or: condiments are self-service. (condiments = ketchup, mayo, salt….etc)
- Sorry, no food outside the shop is allowed.
Tip: Try to remember the words and phrases by drawing a sketch.